The 2014 Digital 21 Strategy, with the theme of "Smarter Hong Kong, Smarter Living", sets out the framework for Hong Kong to leverage on latest information and communications technologies (ICT) to propel continuous economic development, build platforms for sharing and collaboration, deliver intuitive and integrated e-services to the public, and foster a thriving ICT industry. "City-wide Wi-Fi for the Public and Visitors" is one of the key initiatives to further advance Hong Kong's position as a highly connected city in the world by stimulating the development of public Wi-Fi service in Hong Kong.
With the concerted efforts of both public and private sectors, Hong Kong's Wi-Fi penetration is among the highest in the world. To ride on this success, the Government is collaborating with the industry to promote a common Wi-Fi brand "Wi-Fi.HK" for those Wi-Fi services in Hong Kong which are offered by the public and private sectors completely free of charge or time-limited free of charge in Hong Kong. Organisations and Wi-Fi service providers are welcome to join this scheme.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- make it easier for the public and visitors to find and use the free Wi-Fi services in Hong Kong;
- stimulate the development of public Wi-Fi in Hong Kong; and
- further advance Hong Kong's position as a highly connected city in the world.
Under this scheme, the free Wi-Fi locations of the participating organisations will be promoted to the public and visitors through various means such as a thematic website and mobile app.
With the full support and participation of the Wi-Fi operators as well as public and private organisations, “Wi-Fi.HK” hotspots are distributed in the 18 districts across the territory. The participating organisations are listed as below:
- Hong Kong Telecommunications (HKT) Limited
- Hong Kong Broadband Network Limited
- Wharf T&T Limited
- Hutchison Global Communications Limited
- Y5ZONE Limited
- Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation
- Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited
- Ocean Park Corporation
- Ngong Ping 360 Limited
- Hang Lung Properties
- Hopewell Holdings Limited
- The Bank of East Asia, Limited
- The University of Hong Kong
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Lingnan University
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Open University of Hong Kong
- Vocational Training Council
- Tung Wah College
- The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Hang Seng Management College
- School of Professional and Continuing Education (HKU SPACE)
- Hong Kong Productivity Council
- Hong Kong Housing Authority
- West Kowloon Cultural District Authority
- Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
- Hong Kong Export Credit Insurance Corporation
- Construction Industry Council
- Hong Kong Trade Development Council
- Government Wi-Fi Programme
- Hong Kong SAR Government (Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Civil Aviation Department, Home Affairs Bureau - Youth Square Management Unit, Home Affairs Department, Hong Kong Observatory, Intellectual Property Department, Office of the Communications Authority, Office of the Government Chief Information Officer and Transport Department)
The number of “Wi-Fi.HK” hotspots has been increased from over 5,000 since the service launch in August 2014 to over 18,000 today.
Without the need for prior registration, the public and visitors can enjoy at least 30 minutes free Wi-Fi service per day from each of the above organisations.
“Wi-Fi.HK” Thematic Website and Mobile App
For details of free Wi-Fi hotspots, please visit the thematic website (www.wi-fi.hk), or download & install the “Wi-Fi.HK” mobile app.