Main ContentWeb Accessibility Recognition Scheme
Hong Kong has one of the most sophisticated and advanced telecommunications infrastructures in the world. Through the Internet, people can access online information and services and apply information technology to improve their quality of life. Websites have become a must for enterprises and organisations to promote their products and connect with customers. An accessible website caters for the needs of different community groups, including persons with disabilities, enabling them to obtain information easily and use online services. In turn, it helps enterprises and organisations reach the widest possible audiences, thereby contributing to a digitally inclusive society.
In October 2012, the Office of the Government Chief Information Officer (OGCIO) and the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) co-organised the annual Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme (Recognition Scheme) to show appreciation to enterprises and organisations for making their websites accessible, with an aim to encourage adoption of web accessibility to facilitate access to online information and services by all segments of the community including persons with disabilities. In view of the growing popularity of mobile devices, a new Mobile Application Stream is introduced in this year to raise public awareness of the accessibility of mobile applications. The Recognition Scheme is now open for application.
- Encourage local enterprises and organisations to adopt accessibility design in their websites and mobile applications
- Recognise the efforts and accomplishments of those organisations that have adopted accessibility design in their websites and mobile applications
- Provide accessibility advisory support to participating organisations to help their websites and mobile applications conform to accessibility requirements
Why you should join?
The Recognition Scheme recognises efforts in making websites and mobile applications accessible. Participating organisations can establish a caring image and receive free advisory support to improve the accessibility of their websites and mobile applications.
- Make websites and mobile applications accessible and friendly to persons with special needs contribute to a caring and inclusive society
Recognition and Achievements
- Receive an award for an achievements in realizing corporate social responsibility will help build a positive corporate image
- Adopt good coding practices required of accessible websites makes maintenance easier, saving time and cost in the long run
- Widening online customers base
- Make websites more friendly to search engines, which in turn helps get more prominent ranking in search engine results
The Recognition Scheme is open to all local enterprises and organisations including companies, non-government organisations (NGOs), educational institutions and public sector organisations, etc.
|Silver Award||–||Meet all 14 judging criteria under Silver Category to provide basic web accessibility features|
|Gold Award||–||Attain Silver Award level and meet all 10 judging criteria under Gold Category for better accessibility|
Mobile Application Stream
|Silver Award||–||Meet all 10 judging criteria under Silver Category to provide basic mobile application accessibility features|
|Gold Award||–||Attain Silver Award level and meet all 8 judging criteria under Gold Category for better accessibility|
Tel. no.: 2582 4606
Fax no.: 2802 4549
Email address : email@example.com